top of page

A Guide to Cabinet Trim

Large espresso maple shaker kitchen with ice blue countertops

There are more pieces that go into a successful cabinet installation than initially meets the eye. Cabinet trim helps add finishing touches for a professional and appealing look. There are many types of accessories for cabinets. In this article, we will walk through some of the most common. Note that in this context, accessories and trim are interchangeable terms and ‘accessories’ does not refer to add-ons, like handles, inserts, and specialty functions. Pius cabinet codes will be listed in parentheses after each item name.

Basic Trim Types

illustration of base filler being inserted between two cabinets

Base and Wall Filler (BF#, WF#) - Fillers are strips of wood designed to go between cabinets and structures, like walls. Base fillers are designed to mimic the shape of base cabinets. Wall fillers are straight. Note that wall fillers can be used on base cabinets, but base fillers cannot be used on wall cabinets.

outlined filler strip between a pantry cabinet and a wall

Filler Strips (Filler #x8) - Filler strips are typically eight feet in length and come in varying widths. These fillers are multipurpose and can be used with tall cabinets or as top crown.

thin scribe molding between a maple cabinet and a wall

Scribe (SM8) - Scribe is an eight foot, thin, flexible strip of wood. It is used where any cabinet touches a structure in order to disguise gaps resulting from uneven wall or ceiling surfaces.

close up shot of cherry toe kick installed on cabinets

Toe Kick (TK8) - Toe Kick is an eight foot strip of varying height depending on manufacturer. Pius’ toe kicks are 4.5” tall. These trims are used along the bottom inset area of base cabinets to disguise and seams between cabinets and create a cohesive look.

angled back view of a peninsula with visible ocm molding

Outside Corner Molding (OCM8) - Outside Corner Molding is a V-shaped trim that caps off the ends of a 90 degree angle, such as the back of a cabinet on an island. Note that OCM is only required for instances where the side and back of a cabinet meet, and is not able to be installed on the front of a cabinet.

Top Trim Types

decorative crown molding installed over a fridge

Decorative Crown (CMF#) - Decorative Crown Molding is what most people think of when they see the term ‘crown molding’. It is an angled crown that sits on the top of cabinets and is highly ridged.

grey angled crown molding installed on three cabinets

Angled Crown (ANGELD#) - Angled Crown is similar to Decorative Crown in terms of install, but lacks the extra ridges in the design.

flat crown on espresso cabinets in a curved layout

Flat Crown (Filler #x8) - Flat Crown is the exact same trim type as filler strips and is not installed at an angle, but straight up and down.

Panel Types

4x8 Panel (4x8) - The 4x8 panel is a four foot by eight foot panel for a variety of uses. It can be cut down to accommodate almost any installation need, but is most commonly used to cover the exposed backs of cabinets on an island or peninsula.

Refrigerator Panel (REF/P) - The Refrigerator Panel is a tall panel in either 24” or 30” depth that is installed next to the fridge to help support deep upper cabinets. This panel is required if your fridge cabinet is over 12” deep.

Side Panels (WSP, BSP) - Side panels are thin sheets of material designed to fit perfectly on the exposed sides of cabinets. Many types of cabinets do not require these, but some lines do depending on the type of cabinet box in use.

decorative base side panel in cognac cherry

False Door Panels (WRP, BRP) - False Door Panels are thick side panels created in the same format as the doors of the cabinet line. They give the appearance that there is a functional cabinet door or a higher class finish to the cabinet, and are usually not required.

parchment shaker dishwasher side panel next to a dishwasher

Dishwasher Side Panel (DSP) - Dishwasher Side Panels are required when a dishwasher is at the end of a cabinet run and is not surrounded by cabinets. The panel provides support to the countertop, and without this panel the counter may fracture from the weight of the dishwasher.

Other Trim Types

white light rail molding installed underneath a cabinet

Light Rail (LM8) - Light Rail is a thin, decoratively ridged piece of trim that hides under cabinet lights. Note that lighting is not included with this trim and must be purchased separately.


bottom of page